Honey Whisky Cake.
So one day a few weeks ago when I was home, Geoff and I found this recipe off taste spotting and decided that yea, it was time for more cake in our lives. These days I’m finding way too many recipes that just look too good and, unfortunately I don’t think I have time to make them all! Never mind the fact that lugging a 10 lb bag of flour back from the grocery store for the half hour walk is necessarily fun…. But since I was home, supplies were in abundance and it was time for a warm hearty cake. Mmmm
Now some may call this a spice cake, or many other names but whatever you call it, it tastes damned delicious and it’s so easy! It reminds me a little bit of carrot cake, but those good carrot cakes you know? With the cream cheese icing and the… oh dear, I’m getting off track.
However, this is certainly worth your while as this rich dense moist cake will make you forget all about the nip in the air and make your mind focus on a warm cup of coffee, a real hot fire and a slice of honey whisky cake.
3 1/2 c flour
1 tbs baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1 c vegetable oil
1 c honey
1 1/2 c sugar
1/2 c brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 c warm coffee or tea (we used espresso)
1/2 fresh orange juice
1/3 c whisky or rye
1/3 c slivered almonds
1. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices.
2. Make a dip in the center of the mixture and add the oil, honey, sugars, eggs, vanilla, coffee, orange juice, and rye/whisky.
3. Mix the ingredients in the mixer to make a thick batter.
4. Fold in half the almonds and place the other half in the top of the bundt pan so they’re visible when your creation is ready.
5. Bake the bundt until a toothpick comes out clean-usually between 60 and 70 minutes, loaf pans need between 45 and 60 minutes and 13×9 pan requires 40 minutes.
Let cool and enjoy!